DID YOU KNOW THAT RABBITS EAT THEIR OWN BABIES?
If a mother rabbits is stressed or afraid, she may eat her litter. Sometimes she’s afraid of predators and eats the babies to protect them. A mother bunny will eat an injured or sick baby. Sometime she eats the runts of the litter because he’s the weakest and least likely of survive. It’s rare that a mother rabbit will eat all her litter, or even litter she births. This could indicate that she’s got nutritional deficiencies. Mother rabbits can panic when it’s noisy, this can cause her to eat some of her litter.
Rabbits eat their babies for a variety of reasons.
- Does gets excited by a change to her cage, or her food or water
- Mother rabbits don’t like other animals around her when she’s give birth, Dogs, cats, or even mouse running in your home can upset her if she’s given birth.
- If the mother is young, under six months, she might not handle birthing well and eat the babies because she’s scared and upset by the experience. You might need to take the babies away from her their survival.
- Nutritional deficiency can be a reason why a mother rabbit eats her young.
- If the mother detects there’s something wrong with a baby rabbits, she might kill it. It’s an instinctive way of eliminating weak sick rabbits.
- Sometimes the father if let in the cage with the litter and mother, will kill the babies so he can breed again with the female rabbit. Always remove the male rabbits once babies are born.
HOW DO MOTHER RABBITS KILL THEIR BABIES?
After she’s given birth, a doe licks her newborn babies clean and eats the placenta and afterbirth materials. This is common for small mammals since it gives the mother special nutrients sometimes eats her babies along with the placenta and other materials.
HOW TO KEEP THE MOTHER RABBIT FROM EATING HER BABIES?
Fortunately, not all rabbits mothers eat their babies. If your doe eats her first litter and her second litter of babies, there’s no use breeding her anymore. She doesn’t have a motherly instinct. It happens, and there’s no cure to help the Doe change. They are just that way for some reason. Most mother rabbits do the good care of their babies, some learn to take care of their babies after a couple of litters.
WILL A MOTHER RABBIT KILL HER BABIES IF HUMAN TOUCH THEM?
Rabbits don’t kill their babies if human touch them. It’s not a reason why mother rabbits kill their babies, Rabbit breeders handle rabbit don’t mind this. If the mother has been socialized she will be fine with humans touching her babies Domestic rabbits are used to human.